Monday, April 27, 2009

"You think it's bad now? When I was young we had to worry about catching the flu from pigs..."- Me, circa 2050


I saw this someecard today, and couldn't resist posting. Sometimes I feel like the writers of someecards understand me in a way that no one else does. But, regarding the Swine Flu, first birds are carrying the flu, and now pigs!? Don't worry, I took the liberty of WebMD'ing Swine Flu (you can never be too careful, and I want to know immediately if I may have it), and it has the same symptoms as the regular flu... and, also, as allergies (and AIDS, but we won't go there). So, the good news is that you should be able to easily recognize the symptoms, and the bad news is that someone who is not as knowledgeable as, say, I am about the symptoms could easily mistake it for the regular flu or allergies (or AIDS), and then we're all screwed. If everyone would just, please, avoid contact with pigs for a while we may be ok... and, for goodness sake, wash your hands.

Moving onward--

I'm a little freaked out by the "Craigslist Killer". I realize that I do have an irrational fear of sexual predators (as if any fear of sexual predators could be irrational?), but seriously!? He seems so normal. This guy is exactly why I would never follow up on a Craigslist ad by myself. I mean, come on people, did you learn nothing from the "buddy system" in elementary school?! I choose to implement the buddy system daily in my adult life, and I have not yet become victim to a sexual predator/murderer (::knock on wood::).... so, just think about that when you're going to meet some Craigslist shadester at his creepy apartment at midnight-- even if you are getting a really good deal on a barely used desk from IKEA. Also, regarding his fiance, this just goes to show that, if you find random women's lingerie around the house, maybe cheating (or crossdressing?) isn't the first conclusion you should jump to... you may have a Craigslist Killer on your hands. Either way, get out while you can. ALSO, the "breaking news" this morning is that he was using Craigslist to have trysts with men!? His poor fiance. Other breaking news, as reported by the Today Show, is that the August wedding has been canceled. So, there's the good news on that. At least she found out before the "I do's".

Alright, kids, that's it for now. Have a super day in CyberSpace, and don't bother searching for me on MySpace because I deleted my account.

Later.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Ah, the Swine Flu days, those were the good ones.

You don't have trysts with men using Craigslist ads? Get with the 21st century, loser.

Kheili said...

I'm pretty sure I'll be hanging out with swine until I get the flu. I mean, is it too much to ask to be a part of at least one pandemic in my life?

Leigh said...

It's bad enough we missed the Spanish Influenza...

Catrina said...

ok. correction on your entire blog - you cannot catch the swine flu from being around swine or consuming pork products. please check your local listings from news, radio, the village idiot, pubmed, and every other person who already knows this information. thank you and in case i don't see you, good afternoon, good evening, and good night. (a little bit of old school truman show for you)


ps it will be so ironic if i die from kissing pigs after this message was posted.

pps that's how my life works though

Leigh said...

You would bring in your stupid medical opinion, Catrina. Pretty sure you do work on brains or hearts or something, and not Swine Flu, so you know not what you speak of. ;)

Melissa said...

The swine flu thing is so over-rated. There are only 20 known cases in the U.S., none of which are fatal and people are freaking out. What am I saying...at least I get to stay home from work listen to them freak out...hehehe.

Your Loving Mom said...

Actually, the Swine Flu in humans originated from the handling of infected swine, not by eating the pork, but by doing whatever it was they did with the pig - eeewwww!From there it is being spread among humans, and I'm sure pigs, too, (not sure about cats, dogs & such). Just wash your hands and stay away from sick coughing people, (and coughing pigs), and you should be fine!!

Leigh, I am soooo happy that you still implement the buddy system - keep it up!

Love ya!

Unknown said...

I'm officially hooked!

Your sweet Winnie friend said...

why on earth delete myspcae madam???!!!!

Paige Donnell said...

when are you going to post another blog? i like it so much maybe ill start my own blog... hmmm.. maybe...