Monday, April 20, 2009

Dr. Leigh has red skin and speaks French... simultaneously.

Let me preface this by saying that I have no rhyme or reason for this blog.

Hi! How are ya? Happy Monday!

The first item of business on this sunny April 20th afternoon is WebMD (per Sally's request). Those of you who know me well may know that I have a slight addiction to this website o' medical genius. Not only has it helped me to diagnose myself with illnesses that I have, in fact, had (the flu, for example), it has also helped me to diagnose myself with illnesses that I do not have (diabetes being my most frequent diagnosis). I "had" diabetes last week, which is why Sally (who apparently thinks my addiction (obsession?) to WebMD is hilarious) suggested that I devote an entire blog to it. Misdiagnosis via WebMD is very easy because, as I've discovered on numerous occasions, many ailments have similar symptoms (who knew the flu had many of the same symptoms as AIDS!?). For instance, last week when I had diabetes, it turns out I was just hungry (with a bit of a sweet tooth) and/or thirsty... and my blurred vision could possibly have been caused by the fact that I'm supposed to wear glasses, but don't? Too bad all of those things are symptoms of diabetes... you understand my confusion??? Needless to say, you can all rest assured that I do not have Diabetes, ADD, Cancer, Meningitis, AIDS, Arthritis, or any of the other one million horrible diseases I've convinced myself that I have (based on the fact that I have a sore throat...).

Moving on...

I'm sunburned (or, more accurately, sunFRIED). Yes, it's true. I was outside at the pool yesterday, wearing sunblock (aka sunNOTblock), for approximately 2 hours, and I came out looking like a crawfish. (I would have said lobster, but wanted to stay true to my southeast Texas roots..) What makes it even worse, aside from the agonizing pain caused by merely breathing, is that my sunburn could easily be confused with some kind of skin problem, as it is blotchy (I'll WebMD it later to see if maybe I'm having some fatal allergic reaction to the sun or sunNOTblock...). I look like a red and white dalmation, and I do not like it. Also, my hand is swollen from said sunburn. Faaantastic. There are days when I love being a red head with pale skin, but this is not one of them. My skin hates me and, frankly, I hate it back. We're not on speaking terms right now.

On another note, I love-Love-LOVE La Madeleine. Oh, how I love La Madeleine. I went for lunch today and, aside from the terrible parking issue (Which is a problem all over Austin-- You'll be hearing from me soon, Mayor Wynn!), it was a truly delightful experience. Not only do they serve bread and jelly in an unlimited supply by the drink station, they have FRENCH LESSONS playing over the loud speaker in the bathrooms (or, more appropriately, toilette). I realized this today and it only intensified my love for this restaurant o' French bistro goodness. Yes, amazing. J'adore La Madeleine!

Ok, that's about all I have to say today, so we'll cut this off for now. Stay tuned, my faithful readers. Stay tuned.

Au revoir, cyber space!

6 comments:

Sally Mitzner said...

j'adore mon petit chou-chou, Leigh!

Unknown said...

I guess the question on my mind is how long did you have to stay in said bathroom to learn French....?

Leigh said...

Your answer is that I sat in 4 semesters of French, and just exhausted my French knowledge in that blog. I learned nothing in said bathroom because I was too busy wondering if that was a La Madeleine exclusive recording, or if it was Rosetta Stone.

Anonymous said...

I have never been on WebMD but now you have convinced me to check it out. I am always wondering what my problems are! As for the sunburn, I would have to tell you like I tell my dear mother, Stay out of the SUN!! Both of you have swimming pools too. I think we should just start having night time swimming parties for the two of you. As for your restaurant...there are no language lessons in Winnie so if I ever venture out of this place I will try and find some place that does!

Julie said...

Just know that I am laughing at your puffy hand.

And you eat La Mad...ALLTHETIME. When you die I'm going to buy a little croissant in a LM bag and place with you in your final resting place. Because I am a real friend.

Unknown said...

Ha, Leigh, I could totally relate to the WebMD issue. I mean, my friends banned me from it in college. Maybe hypochondriac(ness) (is that a word?) runs in our family? Uh oh, off to WebMD hypochondriac...