Friday, April 24, 2009

"Oh, Danny, is this the end?"

"Of course not, Sandy. It's only the beginning."- Grease

Good morning, guys and dolls!

Today has the potential to be a day of epic proportions. I will (maybe) make a huge change in my life, and will need the support of all of you, my faithful blog readers. Your prayers will be needed as I muster up the courage to take this huge step: Delete my MySpace.

Yes, you heard it here first, folks. My long time relationship with MySpace will soon come to an end. It was a wonderful ride for the past (approximately) 3 years but, as they say, all good things must come to an end, and I feel that this is also true as it pertains to social networking sites. (Don't be ridiculous or hasty, though, I will not be deleting Facebook any time soon. One step at a time, plus I'm not sure my Facebook love affair is quite ready to end.) While I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on MySpace (filling out surveys, perusing people's pictures, messaging old friends), I have found myself feeling less than fulfilled by Tom's cyber networking masterpiece, and worry that, if I don't delete soon, I may not have anything new to learn about my classmates at our 10 year reunion.

Now that you've been made aware of my huge (potential) life change today, I'm sure you understand the urgency for your prayers, and will be asking for the Lord to send me strength today as I mentally and physically prepare myself to click "Cancel". (FYI: The words "maybe" and "potential" in parenthesis indicate the fact that this may or may not happen today. This is a huge step and not something to be rushed.)

Thanks, and moving on.

For those of you who don't already know, I have been planning, for about the past 4ish months, to make the big move back to my roots. I will be saying goodbye to the lovely Austin, TX, and hello to the rice fields and marsh lands of my first love: Southeast Texas (Spindletop, anyone?). (Don't feel bad if you didn't know, as I wanted to keep things somewhat hush-hush until details were finalized and I was able to talk to my boss.) While I absolutely love Austin (who wouldn't!?), I have lived in this area for the past 7 years, and have grown increasingly homesick for my family and friends. The thought of being back has made me so excited for the past few months, that I almost forgot to think about the fact that I'm actually leaving... until Wednesday. My beautiful, wonderful Austin friends and I went out for Sally's birthday celebration, and reality set in. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic to be moving back, but I'm getting so very sad to be leaving the amazing friends I've met here. I have been blessed to have met some truly incredible friends in Austin but, luckily, all of them are Facebook users, as opposed to MySpace, so keeping in touch should not be tainted by my decision to delete MySpace. So, there's the silver lining!

All of that being said. You don't have to worry about me canceling my blog. (What a relief, right?) I will continue to post random ramblings about my life (and sometimes not), and the only change will be that, beginning mid-June, you should probably picture me in a more rural setting, rather than in downtown Austin. (Oh, Leslie, how I will miss randomly seeing you parading down 6th on my way home from work...)

That's all I have for now, blog readers. Have a super day in CyberSpace!

Oh, and I almost forgot!:

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SALLY!!!!!! I hope you have the most awesome day of your entire 23 years of life! Love you so much (even though you're from Oklahoma)! :)




*********UPDATE: I'm officially no longer a MySpacer. Thank you for your prayers.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I may not have anything new to learn about my classmates at our 10year reunion.
One reason I hate/like FB. Nothing is left the imagination, yet I am not required to attend said 10 year reunion because there is nothing left to find out.

Also, I am happy you are coming this direction. Does this mean we will get to hang out more? Also, ok, I don't have another also but I have recently fallen in love with the word and have taken to using it as often as possible.

Leigh said...

I, too, like the word "also", but not as much as "via".

Your Loving Mom said...

Regarding the deleting of your MySpace - NO! Who is going to keep tabs on your little brother's site if you don't?!!!

Regarding coming back to your roots - YES! Your family is ecstatic!!

Regarding "also", and "via" - great words, but the best words in the world are "plethora" and "sassafrass!"

Leigh said...

haha Mom, you're so awesome.

Regarding MySpace, don't worry. I have his password.

Regarding moving home, I'm ecstatic that you're ecstatic.

And, regarding words, those are great, too.

Julie said...

I forgot to wish you luck deleting your account. DO IT.

Also, I love that you are to keep tabs on your bro and love it more that you have his password. The family that spies together stays together.

Also, sassafrass is a good one.

Mr. Alford said...

Via your inspiring post, I will also delete my MySpace account. Thank you for deciding to keep the blog, not sparing us the plethora of wisdom it dispenses.

And....uh.....sassafrass!

Leigh said...

And this, Mr. Alford, is why you're one of my favorite friends.